View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 02:23 AM   #18
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
All these other groups aren't asking for a zero sum game. They don't want to take away the rights of those holding the most power (in America, it's still way easier to be white, and especially male, than anything else. Poor white is still better than poor black. They just want to have those same rights that whites/white men have had all along.

A white supremacist rally, when almost all of the wealthiest people in America are white, when almost all of the politicians in America are white, when almost all of the CEOs in America are white, on and on ad nauseum--is utterly ridiculous.

No one is taking away "white America's" identity. This movement is solely meant as an attempt to keep "others"--people of color, immigrants (legal or otherwise), gay people, trans people--beneath them.
I agree with everything you said but I'm also a non-white dude from Canada. I think there are many southern whites who truly do feel like their history and identity are being taken away. The removal of Confederate flags and statues and monuments is happening. Public parks and schools and streets and other institutions named after heroes of the Confederacy are being renamed. No doubt some of those protesting these changes are racists but many of those have valid concerns about their history being erased. It wouldn't surprise me if there are many protesters tonight who believe slavery was a terrible wrong but also have revered ancestors who fought for the Confederacy and just feel political correctness has gone too far.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post: