View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #41
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this movie, and to me there are just certain Star Wars Characters that you want to see a whole backstory on, and certain other ones that you don't.

Han Solo is almost one that you don't. If you look at his classic biography, he was an Imperial officer recruit, went through the Academy and rebelled when his commanding officer told him to murder wookie slaves including Chewie. Murdered the officer, was thrown out of the service and then won the Falcon in a card game against Lando and became a hard luck smuggler.

See the problem is that when you have a vague notion of a classic character you don't really want to see it explored and expanded because its going to be disappointing.

See in this movie, Solo is going to have to be awesome and heroic, which ruins what he becomes in ANH. Han Solo changed over the original trilogy, he went from a guy who really didn't care all that much, shot people in bars, swindled people out of money and was basically a rogue, and not really a lovable rogue. So in order to make that change really work in the OT, Han Solo really has to be a guy that doesn't do anything all that great in this movie. Maybe he makes a decision to abandon a friend or betray them cause he's broke. That way when he comes back to save Luke in a New Hope it means something, it signals a change.

But if Han does anything in this movie that's noble, or sacrifices himself then that turn around and the start of the rounding of Han Solo into a admirable character is meaningless.

Its just like, as much as I really like Palaptine and think that he's an unbelievable villain, do I want an origins story of Palpatine, Naboo elected official?

Do I want a background story where Palpatine isn't a bad person, but as he becomes more powerful and becomes a wirlwind of evil who believes he's doing the right thing?

I'm not even sure if I want a Boba Fett origins story, mainly because Karen Traviss or whatever her name is completely wussified Fett.
For every one of you, there is 100 people who think differently. I for one will be very much interested in his origin story on the big screen. I have faith they will do a great job with it too.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote