View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This is nothing more than a (likely) obvious observation you'll say, but while I've always been aware of the difference in sport between male & female events, a lot of the recent snowboard & ski events thus far have really highlighted that I have forgotten how insanely different the caliber and level of performance is between the sexes in certain events. (hurr genetics!)

Mixed doubles curling you could hardly tell a difference between the sexes, but having watched the Slopestyle and now, half-pipe snowboard tonight with men & women back to back, it is like watching an entirely different sport. The female who just won gold in halfpipe just "stomped" the competition by completing one 1080 trick. Most males are pulling off runs 4x more technical than any female with 3+ 1080 tricks in a row (and that is a solid average run).

The real problem is that they are airing these events back to back which just draws direct comparison and the female events in juxtaposition are akin to watching a kids' version where they're happy with just completing a run without falling.

Same thing applies on the freestyle moguls, the trick portion - women are happy just doing a flip, while men are crushing insane tricks.

Call it a blatant observation, but it is almost a reaffirmation of the equality between sexes where besides 2 weeks every few years I forgot that we are really that different physically, and great to see that society has reached a point where I am shocked there is a difference only when it is put on show.
I know right. Why even put your daughter into sports of any kind, she'll never be as good as the boys so why even try. Thank god for home ec.

Green text aside I'm glad more girls are trying the "boy sports" more.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote