Thread: [PGT] Flames 3 Avs 2
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #382
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The nice thing about the two players is their contracts are complimentary to each other. I think the Backlund contract will be a poor value contract, but the Lindholm contract will be a great value contract. As a whole, the two balance each other out. It doesn’t change that I think the Flames believed thay were going to be getting a player that be a big game player for them and score those clutch goals when they needed them. You can live with paying a 15-20 goal scorer that much if he is a clutch player and scores those goals at important junctures of the game or season. I think that is what Treliving thought they were getting with Backlund, which he isn’t, but they did get with Lindholm. Like I said, it all works out in the end and for the betterment of the hockey club.
Very much this. Contracts are in part attempts to predict the future, so imperfections are inevitable. Cap hit of a single player is mostly irrelevant, what matters is the whole.

Besides. Speculation that Lindholm could do Backlunds job is purely that, speculation. They are currently playing in two very different roles on this team, and the sample size is all of five games. Lindholm looks good as a scoring winger, doesn't mean he can carry the defensive responsibilities of a two-way center as Backlund.

(For those who believe that +/- comparisons within one team are interesting, Backlund is the team leader with +5, Lindholm is the worst (with Välimäki) with -3.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote