View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #117
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's a legitimate con, for sure. In fact, it's one I experience on a day-to-day basis. Used to live in a pretty sweet house in a new neighbourhood, but now I live in a smaller bungalow with a half-bath for an ensuite. We'll eventually gut the upstairs and renovate to the standard we'd prefer, but I have to save a lot of money to make that happen. Your average middle class guy living in Bonavista definitely gives up something on the house side of the equation for the upgraded community. It's a worthwhile trade off IMO, but I do miss my old place. Can't imagine what that house would cost in this neighbourhood...out of my reach.
Aren't most things out of reach from a Rascal?

DALHOUSIE

PROS:
- Close proximity to c-train
- Close to University and multiple shopping malls.
- Relatively central (the furthest parts of the city are about 20-25 min drive if you know the good routes, bearing any accidents or w/e)
- Easy access to DT (my place is about 10 min walk to the c-train. it's 30 min door to office, which isn't bad IMO). As well as cool parts of the city like Kensington and 17th.
- Easy to escape the city (Stoney to go west or north, Deerfoot to go south)
- Lots of parks and green space (including multiple dog parks).
- Close to Nosehill
- Culture medley. Seems to be a lot of Asian and African people. (***warning*** some may not consider this a pro)
- Best Pho in the NW (Essence of Saigon Garden. I've tried about 6 or seven other NW places. Not even close).
- Even during rush hour, driving in/out of DT isn't too painful because you mostly bypass the Crowchild backlog.

CONS:
- While relatively easy to get to the core and other areas, it is still a commute.
- No bars/pubs. Have to go near the university if you want a decent place to have wings and watch the game. There's a space for rent in Dalhousie station. Someone could have a pretty good little business if you were to open up a pub that would cater to the sports/live music crowd. I've seriously contemplated it myself.
- Not a lot of places that are unique to the area. Restaurants and stores are largely the main ones (Earls, BPs, Indigo, Starbucks, etc). A few good spots, but you have to look for them.

As a single person, I can't really speak to the schools around and the child atmosphere, but I do see a lot of families around, mostly international people. Overall I'd say it best suited for students and younger people, if not just for it's proximity to the schools and ease of access to transit DT. Location is really the main pro IMO. The big miss is lack of a decent pub.