View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 09:17 PM   #7947
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
A long, full railroad strike would hurt many times more people of all classes than the 100k or so in the rr unions in question. The government stepping in, in this situation with a forced mediation isn't setting a precedent for non essential infrastructure unions. Supporting a railroad strike is a cut off your nose to spite your face move, and I don't find that rational.

Republicans should absolutely be shamed for voting for Walker as their candidate. But if you believe in the crap Republicans believe in, then it's not irrational to vote for him unless they think he's some kind of wolf in sheep's clothing that will go against their interests. I distinguished a job like Senator that is just a vote, vs a Governor or President that judgement, character and intellect matter and where maybe they'd have powers to do further evil or enable it.

A lot of the "progressive" type platforms tend to be too black and white and are cut off your nose to spite your face policies. They sacrifice incremental improvement for digging their heels in on policies that aren't necessarily feasible or that will cause more harm than good, and in turn kill the incremental improvements that would actually help people.
How are worker’s rights being incrementally improved by the government forcing mediation?

Your opinion about progressive platforms is fine for you to have, but it’s my opinion that “hold the line at all cost” centrist types are naive and toothless. You’re losing the line because you don’t actually have any values you care about and don’t do anything but naysay everyone that isn’t holding up the status quo. This is true of a lot of the lazy centrists I know and it’s true from the posts of yours I have seen. I could name a single thing you actually support aside from “Democrats.”. Don’t like Republicans, don’t like progressives, would vote for a murderer so long as they kept things exactly as they are. You believe your version of centrism to be the balance between things, and that version exists, but it’s not yours. Yours is the version devoid of anything. It’s the empty space in between. You say you care about poor people and those people making less than $100k but I’ve also seen you argue about against multiple policies designed specifically to help those people, so you don’t really care, right? It’s ok to be honest.

Try to worry less about “rational” and more about figuring out what you actually value, like I said. It makes it easier to fight for the greater good when you have some idea of what that good actually is.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: