View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 08:16 PM   #7941
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Would you be OK if your employer's solution to the shortage was to make it so you could essentially never take a day off in the event of a medical appointment or a family emergency without repercussions (while simultaneously raking in record profits)?

Companies have increasingly gone leaner and leaner, having fewer people around to do the same amount of work in order to boost earnings. And as long as they can continue exploit their existing employees to do that, they'll keep doing it.
It absolutely happened to us during COVID. We were asked to sacrifice a little to make it through a potential down period. What happened was that we had record enrollment and came out the other side with enough funds to build a new residence hall.

I have no love for companies that ask too much or take from their employees without a need, and I've often thought about unionizing our faculty. But I just don't see this as that type of situation.

The profits have come due to unexpected increase in demand, or pure luck and happenstance due to weird global events, and the workers want a share of that. Fine. However, if they're going to throw the entire economy off the rails just to get an extra sick day or two? I'm definitely NOT in ####ing favor of something like that. It's ludicrous.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote