View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #252
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Renters can't get solar systems. I'm obviously not 100% familiar with whatever arrangement you have, but nothing in life is free. I'd be interested to know how it works though. Is it subsidized from government? Leased?
Renters can't get solar? Then rent from someone who has solar? Or how about buying a house and leasing? My situation is a lease at 20% less than the cost of our yearly electricity, prior to any credits from selling excess back to the utility. It was a no-brainer and continues to pay-off for being an early adopter.

Quote:
As to your point about the grid being so old it can't sustain the load, I don't know where that is an issue. Certainly not here. I would thing it would be more challenging for utilities to integrate all these little loads popping up all over the grid.
That's an issue all over the United States. Our power grid sucks. During summer we suffer from regular outages or rolling brown-outs in many regions.

Quote:
I know you are happy with your system, but it is not the most efficient way to spend dollars, and downloads costs on to others. You have yet to provide any substantially good reason why rooftop solar is better than utility scale.
That's your opinion. There are tens of thousands of people around the US who disagree with you and have adopted this strategy. It is better than utility scale because big business will not adopt the technology until they are pushed into a corner by consumer adoption of the technology themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
Interesting (although long) article on Green Energy - Sorry if its been posted before but I haven't looked through the entire thread. The talk on Solar energy reminded me of it:

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...ear-impossible

Like I said, its a long read but an interesting one detailing the challenges of energy sources such as solar and wind power.
This is why media literacy is such an important factor in our world today. The Manhattan Institute? I guess you're not aware they are front for the fossil fuel lobby, funded by the likes of Koch Industries and Exxon. They are also directly connected to the America Legislative Exchange Council, the same ones who write the pro-business bills that end up in laws around the nation. This is a propaganda piece planted by the fossil fuel industry hoping to give the impression that there is no technology we can use to shift our dependence away from their product.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote