View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #1058
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Males have been lacking representation? Whaaaaaaaaaaaa???
In public discourse in 2018? Absolutely. The issues that disproportionately affect young women get far, far more media and public attention today than the issues that affect young men. Not twice or three times as much, but five or 10 times as much.

Boys today are doing worse than girls is virtually every metric. In academic achievement in every age, in the number who are dosed with behavior-modifying drugs, in dropping out of school, in drug use, in becoming totally alienated from society. In suicide. And there is no public movement to address this, because too many people are trapped in foolish, binary thinking, and believe that pointing out boys have problems mean neglecting the problems girls have. Or they have even uglier impulses - "it's their turn to suffer now."

That's why enormous media attention and government and corporate resources have been devoted to the under-representation of young women in STEM fields, while almost none has been devoted to the growing disparity in post-secondary education altogether. A recent Mount Royal University alumni magazine featured an article about the steps MRU is taking to encourage more women to enter STEM programs to redress the gender imbalance. This at an institution that has something like 64 per cent female enrollment. No word of what they're doing to address that imbalance. It makes you really wonder if these people are deeply cynical, or just deeply stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I agree, as it hurts his academic cred as well. To me, it's like he does that to score cheap points with his audience as he believes that's what they want hear. Stick with the facts and keep the fantasy/fairy tales to a bare minimum. There are better allegories to rely upon than those in a religious text that more often than not is a dividing factor in our society.
You can't understand Western civilization and culture (or any culture for that matter) if you don't understand its religion. You don't have to be religious to get value from studying religion. Thinkers from Nietzsche to Jung to Joseph Campbell have looked to myth, archetype, and religion to understand human consciousness.

In fact, I don't think anyone in Canada can really be regarded as well-educated, in the cultural sense, without a grounding in Christianity. I know that's a big gap in my own education, and one of the reasons I don't get as much out of literature as I could. And I don't think those allegories are divisive. One of the striking things about myths and religion is how alike traditions from all over the world are.

For the record, Peterson is not a church-goer, and equivocates about whether he believes in god.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-19-2018 at 09:06 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote