View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #90
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never heard of this guy until now and have only watched the interview posted, and then the one about his 10 rules for success (which I thought was pretty good).

I think his viewpoint that the pay gap is a lot more complicated than simply male vs. female and separating it as "masculine vs. feminine traits" is interesting, as well as the other social factors that play a role. I suspect that there is a lot of truth to it. All men and women are a combination of traits that we conveniently label as masculine and feminine.

I suspect there is also truth to the evolutionary social hierarchy where masculine traits were favoured within our species. It has been present throughout history and in practically all cultures and civilizations that sustained long term survival. But that is not to say that the masculine social hierarchy in Western Culture is required, desirable or favourable still. Evolution is about adapting as environments change and I think Western Civilization, more than any other civilization in history, is learning to adapt. Evolution takes time though.

Like an appendix or tail bone, masculine dominated hierarchies are likely vestigial in our society and possibly even detrimental in some circumstances (if they weren't then what is driving the will for adaptation?). Based on the interview, Peterson might even agree on that. I don't think he was saying; "This is evolutionary so it is the way it should be...", he is saying; "It formed out of evolution and that is why things are the way they are...". The problem seems to be more about his hardcore supporters interpreting his observations incorrectly and him not doing a lot to reel them in. He likely cares more about the book sales than reason, and that is his real downfall.

As for the CBC, they tend to steer clear of controversy. Granted, I haven't listen to them in a long time, but when I used to listen to them a lot, all I really recall are light entertainment shows like; "Canada Reads", interviews with weirdos like the lady who makes sweaters for cats in Newfoundland, occasional celebrity interviews with icons, and once in a while semi-controversial topics on things like health care or education.

I think the sensational and divisive journalism should stay on News Entertainment stations like Fox and CNN. The CBC doesn't need to go there IMO.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-22-2018 at 01:13 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post: