View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 PM   #32
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
please justify these statements. looks like his ceiling would be a 2nd/3rd line powerforward to me. I don't see how his ceiling and floor could possibly be the same thing. His floor would be a non-NHLer unless you think he's a sure bet to make the league.
Sorry I think I missed this but answered it on another post sort of. In addition to my personal doubts of Smith's upside just think chasing the mystical unicorn (2nd Line PF) is great and all but it doesn't tend to yield results. Hunter Smith could turn out to be Jarome Iginla for all I know, I just think the comparative chances of that (2nd Line PF) happening versus what Agostino/Culak/Mangiapane may bring is not a gamble I would take.

History is not exactly littered with monstrous power forwards who didn't put up PPG in their draft+2 season in the OHL. He was benefitted by playing on a great team as well as being a physical beast and the results were... okay. He finished 70th overall in OHL scoring with 49 points in 57 games, with a great playoffs by all accounts, but still not overly productive.

Hunter would be compared to Lucic if he becomes 2nd Line, it would mean he was a 20+ goal 50+ point literal beast. Is this really his potential?

Sure, in the same sense people predicted Jarome Iginla would score 600 goals after being traded for Nieuwendyk, I suppose.

I'm talking 'what is the realistic expectation here' not 'what is the 1% chance of happening/best case scenario that leads the franchise to untold glory' scenario. Smith's realistic potential to me is '4th liner' but who knows, he could become more. That would be awesome. I'm just not getting my hopes up.

If he becomes Monster Prust, we should be beyond thrilled.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote