View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #25
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why so many people are voting for Morrison ahead of Culkin and Kulak.

Physically, all three of them are essentially the same size (6'2", around 200 lbs). Morrison is almost two years older than the other two (personally, all things being equal, I rank the younger player(s) higher).

The only significant difference is that Morrison is a right-handed shot. A year ago, that was a much bigger need for the organization than it is now. The emergence of Engelland as a solid 3rd-pairing player, and the Hamilton acquisition have balanced out the L-R discrepancy in the Flames defensive pipeline. Wotherspoon is a left-shot and Nakladal is a right-shot, and they're both likely ahead of Culkin, Kulak, and Morrison for call-ups next season.

Culkin and Kulak have both completed a full season of pro hockey, and both had solid first years as 20 year-old defencemen. Morrison had 10 pro games, late in the season. If not for his injury, Culkin likely would have seen action in Calgary last season. Kulak spent half the season in Colorado, but he had a good attitude about it, and played well when he was brought back to the AHL.

Morrison put up 6 points in his 10 games, but half of that was 3 points in one game (a 7-3 win). There's a danger in overrating small sample sizes. Both Culkin and Kulak had similarly productive stretches last season in the AHL. Culkin had 8 points in his first 9 games in Adirondack. Kulak had 6 points in his final 6 games in Adirondack.

All three of them have 2 years remaining on their ELCs. Morrison is getting paid more, but that's more a product of being a College UFA who had multiple offers than it is any comment on his place in the team's hierarchy. Culkin and Kulak both stood out enough as 17 year-olds to get drafted. Unfortunately for them, that means they had no negotiating power when it came time to sign their contracts.

Now, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for voting for Morrison at this point. I'm just surprised the voting is so one-sided in Morrison's favour.