View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Why is everyone so intent on locking up players for the maximum time, even potential Franchise ones like Tkachuk? I understand the benefits, but I think the move you make really needs to depend on the teams sittuation.

If the Flames are truly in year one of a legitimate window, which I believe they are, you have to look at your other core pieces, how long they are locked up for, how long you think the window will be, and try your best to get Chucky in at a manigable number for the duration of that window, that you think will give you the most chance of succeeding and giving you your best chance to win a cup during that window.

Anything beyond that, too many variables to really be concerned about. Worrying whether Tkachuk will be a Flame in 2026 is a problem for another day. BTs priority should be doing what's best for the team in the next 5 years..........I'm not saying an 8 year deal should be considered (and might be important to the player) I'm just saying it shouldn't be viewed as a failure should we lock him up for less at a good number.
Its all about contractual control.

The entire Hamilton trade was about contractual control.

The thing thats often misunderstood about contracts is that very same control. You want good players under contract, but they sell themselves short at times, but thats the cost of the Guarantee, especially within the context of a sport where injuries are common.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote