View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

In a dog fight with the F-22 Raptor sure I would give the Typhoon a conditional advantage if it survives the initial turn battle. The F-22's Thrust vectoring system would give it an inside turn advantage for a quick kill. However if the Raptor pilot doesn't get the quick kill and this becomes a speed is life battle, the Typhoon would probably win.

But the Raptor's strategy would be to use low speed thrust vector to turn inside for a gun shot.

The Raptor in the modern age though would basically be able to force the Typhoon to fight to survive to close to dog fighting range, and that's where the difference is between the a Raptor 5 gen and a Typhoon 4 gen.

In terms of sensor systems, the Typhoon has the PIRATE infrared sensors which have a capability to defeat stealth if the Raptor's engines are running hot. However here's the rub. The PIRATE is suppossed to have an effective range of about 100 km's, however due to the Raptors heat sink, that range is expected to reduce to about 60 km's to get a true lock. Meanwhile the Raptors radar and infra red tracking system has an effective range of out to about 200 km's. Its passive tracking system which picks up electronic signals is sensitive to about 200 kms as well. So its likely that the Raptor will see the Typhoon long before the Typhoon sees the Raptor.

Because of that long range system, the Raptor can deploy the Aim-120D which has an effective range of about 180 km's. Which means that the Raptor can pin point and shoot and force the Typhoon into maneuvering long before it can see the Raptor.

They Typhoon is also designed to use either the Aim-120C, the future Meteor. These have far less range then what the Raptor is shooting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote