View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default _Q_'s Middle East trip

I don't usually post much here, mostly I like to just lurk and read everyone's (mostly) great insight. So most of you probably didn't notice that I was missing for about 3 weeks around Christmas and New Years.

Since I am originally from the Middle East (Palestinian that immigrated to Canada when I was 7 years old), I thought it would be fun to visit some relatives "back home". Now for a Palestinian, back home rarely ever means going back to Gaza, West Bank or Israel. In fact, I have relatives almost everywhere but those places, so it is kind of a blessing in that sense. The original plan was to visit relatives in Jordan, but as soon as I told my best friend about my plan he promised to come if I was willing to expand my trip a little bit. So after months of planning and deliberation, we decided on 3 weeks, approximately 1 week in each one of Lebanon, Jordan and the now infamous Egypt.

I can go on and on about the trip, but as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Instead of boring everyone with a bunch of pictures, I'll post what I think are the best out of the 1000 or so pictures I took. At the end, I think I saw exactly what I expected, but probably not what most of you guys would expect. So feel free to ask me questions or just have a look. Those three countries are amazing places, and I am happy I can share my trip with you guys.

First stop, Cairo Egypt. I didn't know what to expect when I got there and honestly the poverty there was a bit of a shock to me. I had been to Cairo previously when I was 5 years old, but I guess when you have to fend for yourself, it's a completely different experience. I am glad I went, but I am not sure I would go back again (especially if the regime change doesn't change much).

Cairo, Egypt - Khan El Khalili

Giza, Egypt - The Pyramids

When I took these next two pictures, I never thought much of it, but after the events of the last week, it seems a bit surreal to know that I was there a few weeks ago.

Cairo, Egypt - National Museum

Cairo, Egypt - The now infamous Tahrir Square

Next Stop Beirut, Lebanon. Huge difference between Egypt and Lebanon. It's less crowded, not as hot and not as "third world". My friend was utterly surprised at how much cleaner Beirut was than Cairo.

Beirut, Lebanon - Downtown

Anjar, Lebanon

Baalbek, Lebanon

Byblos, Lebanon (one of my favorite places in the world)

Harissa, Lebanon

Up next was Amman, Jordan. There isn't much to do in Amman itself, but it is almost North America like in it's cleanliness and organization. The true beauty however, is all the areas outside of Amman. This was probably my favorite part of the trip.

Dead Sea, Jordan

Aqaba, Jordan (By the Red Sea)

Wadi Rum, Jordan

Petra, Jordan

I also went to Sharm El Sheikh afterwards, but there isn't much to see there other than beaches and sand. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed.

Last edited by _Q_; 02-02-2011 at 09:05 PM.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post: