Thread: 2019 CFL season
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #1705
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Would CFL contracts not have clauses that state you can't break contract to go to other leagues? With a possible exemption for the NFL for some star players.
Probably? I don't know if this is just a matter of we're not arguing the same thing, but I'm really wondering what the issue is here.

BLM can go play for the XFL if he wants. Having a CFL contract isn't going to stop that, unless the XFL and CFL have an agreement in place not to poach each other's players.

It's a different league, and more importantly a different country. The Stampeders would of course be able to sue him for breach of contract, but it would be a colossal waste of everybody's time and effort. It would also make the CFL look pretty bush league. Actually it would probably hurt the image of the XFL too. But the point is there's nothing stopping him from doing it.

If BLM wants to go to the XFL he would ask the Stampeders for his release, and if they said no, nothing stops him from crossing the border. The Stampeders can't revoke his passport and they certainly can't force him to suit up and play. The most likely scenario if he asked to be released to play in the XFL (and please bear in mind that no point did I say that was likely, all I said was that he would get a look) the Stampeders would allow him to be released. Why would they want to force the guy to play for a team, a league, and in a country he doesn't want to be in. And I'll say it one more time, even if they don't grant his release they have no remedy to prevent him from playing in the XFL unless the Xfl as a league plays ball and agrees not to poach players.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-14-2019 at 09:52 AM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote