View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
Good to hear. Keep the topic "open and non-judgemental".

Our kids had two dogs "pass" before they were adults.

The first one we (parents) decided, at the vet and more or less told them after the fact. A decision that we thought was right at the time.

With the 2nd one, we had more time and the kids were a bit older (about the age of yours). While it was still difficult for all of us; we each were able to go through it in a way we were comfortable.

Me and 2 kids, were with her and my husband and one son stayed at home. They were more comfortable with having "living" memories. They were also comforted by knowing she would not "pass" with strangers.

Everyone and every family is different; only you and yours can know what is best for everyone.

Take care and I hope all goes well.
Okay, little story here, but my parents put my dog down when I was 12 and I was at school and I was supremely pissed off.

To come home after school and find out your dog is dead is a very unpleasant thing. Keep the kids involved so they can at least say goodbye.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote