View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
Right after we brought him back from the vet the first time, we started to have the discussion with our kids. As I am sure you can imagine, it wasnt a pleasant conversation but we talk about it fairly regularily so that when the time comes, it wont be a total surprise to them.

We will keep them involved as much as they want to be involved. Ultimately, I know that when the time comes to put him down, I will take that responsibility on myself and take him in. My family will of course be welcomed to come but I wont make them. The process is emotionally draining enough and I would rather they have a good image of our dog rather than a motionless one.
Good to hear. Keep the topic "open and non-judgemental".

Our kids had two dogs "pass" before they were adults.

The first one we (parents) decided, at the vet and more or less told them after the fact. A decision that we thought was right at the time.

With the 2nd one, we had more time and the kids were a bit older (about the age of yours). While it was still difficult for all of us; we each were able to go through it in a way we were comfortable.

Me and 2 kids, were with her and my husband and one son stayed at home. They were more comfortable with having "living" memories. They were also comforted by knowing she would not "pass" with strangers.

Everyone and every family is different; only you and yours can know what is best for everyone.

Take care and I hope all goes well.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote