View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #78
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Even if for only a few hours, being stuck like that must really suck!

My daughter is only 12, but she has a real unusual (for gender and age) interest in airplanes, flying, geography, etc. Her favorite TV show is Mayday, I kid not. I'd love for her to maintain that as she gets older. Still pretty young I know, but any tips you can think of to help nurture that along the way? I don't know what the minimum age is to get private license, but I thought that would make an excellent sweet sixteen present.
TOP GUN. It's a requirement these days. The first question they ask in interviews is "Have you seen TOP GUN?" And then to make sure you aren't lying they ask you to recite a quote from the movie, the more obscure the better. So no "Too close for missles, switching to guns." More like "That's a hell of a gamble with a 30 million dollar plane lieutenant."

It has been awhile since I got my license, but I think the Private license age starts at 16? But if memory serves you can get a recreational permit at 14.

But just to nurture it, grab some snacks and go watch airplanes at the airport. When I was in college and more airplane nerdy I would study at the terminal and watch airplanes come and go for motivation and inspiration. But that backfired and I didn't get much studying done.

I don't know if the Flying Clubs out at Springbank still offer "Discovery Flights" but that would be a good and relatively inexpensive idea as well.

Also, I don't know if it is a country wide thing, but in Manitoba there is a club\group\organization called "Women in Aviation." I would look into that as well. They organize events and fundraisers and other club type things.

Last edited by sa226; 04-17-2011 at 10:12 AM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post: