View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
This off season is going to be interesting for young rfas. Imo a lot of rfas are getting huge numbers projected for their next contract and not enough stock is being put into scoring being the highest it's been since the 90s

I love tkachuk and he deserves a contract in the 7s for sure but 9 or 10 is way off. Even on 8 year deal 9 is the max he should get

If you look at 2016/17 scoring leaders only McDavid had a 90 point season. Sid was 2nd with 89 points. 2018/19 14 players got 90 points. If you did a comparison of where tkachuk finished in scoring and compare to the leaders 2 years ago he would have equaled ehlers poi t total of 64 for 31st in scoring. If he put up 64 this year I doubt we would be on board for 10 mil even with an elavated cap.

6 years 7.25 mil for a young winger makes sense and considering ehlers signed that off season similar age similar points for 6 mil 7.25 seems about right

Some teams are going to kill their cap if they sign some of these rumored deal. If Matt want 9 or more then we need to trade him
While everything you say may well be correct, "deserve" likely has little to do with it.

I'm guessing he wants 4 years, but may settle for 5 if the price is right.

I expect he'll be like his dad, and drive a hard bargain. Calgary needs to be prepared to trade him if they don't like the price, but that's not going to help them win the Cup anytime soon. They won't be able to get a comparable player who's cheaper. Tkachuk's value will be discounted if he has huge salary expectations and there's a team out there that will pay him that amount because the acquisition cost is less.