Thread: Mattresses
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 AM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read up on mattresses in the past (redflag deals has threads in this) and after applying the logic and testing it out, I basically I took this away:

- Costco, Novosbed, Casper etc are the non negotiation places. Use them as rule do thumbs for features vs pricepoint for negotiation on other mattresses. No negotiation doesn't mean no discount. Make use of Costco membership card to get 2% back or get referral discounts for novosbed etc.

- Most mattresses are between 100-200% margin. Negotiate. Sleep country is like car purchasing negotiation. Others like The Bay is a little different but similar idea for end result. I stalemated at 40% off a memory foam at Sleep Country years ago simply by sitting and lying on it. I felt the price was too high for the features to price, walked and bought a Novosbed for the price I was OK paying. I also grabbed traditional coil mattresses from the Bay at 65% off MSRP, by using good timing for sales, new HBC credit card application discount and asking nicely if the was a way to drop the price (waived delivery fee for me).

- unlike car negotiation, mattress negotiation is sometimes like calling into retentions. If some salesman isn't playing ball, go to a diff store and try a different salesman to see if he will play ball. (Especially sleep country)

- Don't get caught up on a specific mattress if there is an equally comfortable equivalent. You're covering it up anyways. I mean, I won't slag tempurpedic, but why pay more on memory foam if you can't tell the diff between the tempurpedic and a novosbed/Casper etc.? But if you can tell, get the higher one no question.

- Many mattresses have up to 120 return policy. Use it if the mattress doesn't feel good.

- Comfort isn't solely mattress. Make sure your bed frame isn't doing anything weird to not allow the mattress to perform correctly (broken/crooked/overly wide slats, damaged frame etc.). Also evaluate your pillow. Expensive isn't better for pillows, but incorrect height of pillow can due to poor neck and body position while sleeping.

Lastly, IMO if you buy a premium mattress, I suggest buying a nicer bed cover. It's just a cherry on top experience wise and you can always find good sets for a nice discount at a place like Winners or home sense.
A liquid proof mattress cover is also worth acquiring if it's not uncomfortable to you. They're between $20-30 on Amazon. My 4-5 year old mattress still looks brand new even though I've had situations like my kid peeing on my bed, spilled wine, sweaty summers etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: