Thread: Kentucky Derby
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Ridiculous.

Horses break down all the time in many facets of their existance. Ive seen horses go down just loping along in a field...they are somewhat fragile creatures when it comes to their ankles/legs.

As for Eight Belles, I have NEVER heard of a horse breaking/displacing BOTH ankles at once and especially after just galloping out to wind down after a race.

Quote:
I guess for the most part the horses are well taken care of, but people must feel like they need to take a shower after being part of a spectical that's really only interesting because people can bet on the horses ... just so they can die.
Ahh to be the judge and jury about something you have no idea about.

These animals WANT to run...they are BRED to run....they LOVE to run. It's a fast paced sport with very large athletes...so yes sometimes tragedy strikes. The horses are pampered and made part of families....so yeah I guess the natural outcome is to kust want to be able to bet on them..."just so they can die". Preposterous.

Quote:
I don't understand how horse racing can still exist today and be considered a 'high class/high society" sport when every year a horse dies on the track.
how is today different than 50, 100, 1000 years ago?

Horses die every year ALL over the place....but because these ones are bred and wanting to run and humans can enjoy them for that fact....it's somehow worse?

I was involved in the sport from the periphery many years ago as a part-owner. i will be the first to admit there is a small minority of people in the sport that abuse these animals to varying degress...they usually end up getting caught and are out of the game one way or the other because of it.

It's still a very noble sport for the most part and those animals are as beloved by their owners/trainers/riders/groomers as any other household pet.