View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 10:06 PM   #2741
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Something just doesn't sound right with what you are doing, because the impact gun shouldn't have any bearing on damaging wheel nuts. Shops use more powerful air impact tools all the time. Perhaps your socket is worn? An impact gun is also less likely to break bolts. The clicking and clacking on loosening is normal, even if it makes you feel like it is doing damage. When you put them on, you just go until the first impact noise and then switch tools, or use a torque bar and don't worry about it.
The sockets were new. Maybe they were bad quality and not quite the right size/snugness? But I'm using them fine with the breaker bar. I'd also often run into issues where the lug nut often comes off and it'd be stuck inside the socket with that impact wrench. Easy enough to tap the socket on the ground to loosen it, but occasionally I'd need to push something through the other side to knock it out. Certainly annoying, but I was concerned it was the start of a bigger issue.

Or... could it be a SAE vs metric size difference that was only noticeable when the torque was high enough? The sockets are fine when using the breaker bar. It's only when I used those sockets with the electric impact wrench that they'd get stuck inside the socket and a wear on the hexagon edges would occasionally be noticed.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote