Thread: [PGT] Flames 2 Wild 0
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #290
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I don’t find anything more infuriating than when the refs decide to “control” the game. Minnesota’s down by 2 with an empty net but heaven forbid they call an obvious infraction against Minnesota because that would ruin the chance to keep the game close. Just call infractions you idiots, disregard the score.
I can't find the link, but I clearly remember TSN's C'mon Ref articles by Kerry Fraser where he admitted that refs not only control games, but hold grudges and have 'lists' of players they look out for. He said they (don't) call penalties are various times depending on the in-game situation. I remember being furious reading that. It was an admission what we as fans have suspected all along; refs try to control the game based on the score and who's on the ice.

As long as old NHL executives like Colin Campbell are in positions of power and can be replaced by younger forward thinking minds, this is the type of officiating we can expect.

Fines be damned. I'd like to see more players, coaches and GMs from around the league calling out the reffing publicly to the point that the league can no longer ignore it. It's not that the refs are bad at their job. They are the best refs in the world. But they are clearly following a mandate being passed onto them by higher up powers.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote