View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #22
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
The Flames organization wasnt happy with Kulak, for one reason or another, and I dont think it started with arbitration.

He was getting very limited looks and limited ice time, which I don't think reflected his on-ice performance.

I wasn't surprised when he elected for arbitration. I'm sure he felt he should be an NHL regular, and the Flames weren't treating or paying him as such.

Turns out he was right.

But I don't think it moved the needle much for the Flames either way.

Yes, it would be nice to have him as an asset, or speculate how it might have affected other contracts.

But the fact is that if he were on the Flames, Kulak would be going into Flames training camp this year battling for a bottom pairing spot. And even with Valimaki injured, Kulak would need to bump one of Kylington or Andersson to get on the ice.
Kulak also didn't make Habs out of camp. He played in the minors for a quarter of the season before getting called up. This sort of hindsight article is like giving ST Louis credit for sticking with Binnington when it is on record they were shopping or trying to find an AHL team to take him prior to the year he blew up.

If anything the miscalculation is on the other 29 teams who missed taking their shot on Kulak as he was waiver fodder. The angle that this is a Treliving miscalculation is laughable.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post: