View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #932
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I purchased this today from Deerfoot Meadows Costco because well, it's a 23 year old for $100. You just have to give it a shot.

To be fair, I dislike Speysides. I don't like Macallan and Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. I find them to all taste too much like spicy candy.

This is much the same. It tastes like a cherry Halls mixed with cinnamon hearts.

Perhaps I am being much too hard on it, but I also read that they were only in Sherry casks for a few months (whether at the beginning or the end, it's not clear) and my suspicion is that its a distillation that was put into storage simply because it didn't have the right balance to meet other single malt standards.

For those who like a fruity, sherry speyside, definitely give this a try. It is quite drinkable and kind of reminds me of an old fashioned when taken neat.

I'll probably keep this around for the novelty or for friends but it won't be one I'm reaching for. I'd gladly trade this for a non-age statement Islay like Scarabus which is still my all time favorite.
Now I'm curious to know what an old fashioned with Kirkland 23 tastes like...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote