View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #927
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Exactly. I hate anything peated - Springbank notwithstanding (but it's not peated, more funky) - so I won't recommend it to anyone, but will try and find what they like by asking questions, i.e. if you like the caramel of bourbon, then Tamdhu 15 is probably good choice.
I have an Ardbeg 2018 Grooves Committee release which is purely for entertaining people (back when people actually came over) who indicate they like peat.
What's the "funky" flavour profile of Springbank?

The reviews I quickly perused for the 15/18 years state leather and barnyard earthy tastes (straw, rope, clay etc.) that devolves into a umami saltiness. It sounds really interesting TBH, but I just recently used up my spirits quota for the next little bit.

I nabbed an Empress gin which is awesome for making a beautiful purple gin and tonic granita which was my first quota usage. I was talking about my curiosity about Red Breast whiskey and my wife bought me a sherry finish Lustau edition which used up our spirits quota for the next little bit as well.

The first few days of cracking open the bottle, the alcohol was a bit harsher than expected, but after about 2-3 days of it mellowing out and perhaps me getting used to it, it's very nice. It's a bit more refined than the Irish whiskey that I am used to, but not in a bad way. More like you'd get smacked for gulping it rather than sipping it level of refined.

Tamdhu is good for the caramel, but another I find is a really good entry level Scotch for those with a tepid interest due to bad recommendations in the past is a Balvenie Carribean Cask. I'm also quite enjoy bourbon cask finish whiskeys, but those are often uncomfortably more than I prefer to pay (would rather try other things at those price points).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote