View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #211
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
What's your 50 dollar plan with Rogers? I would be shocked if it's anywhere near the 40 dollar plan on Wind.

I too prefer to purchase phones out right. Have you looked at the just announced Nexus 4? Only 359 and you own it outright, no plan, not locked to any carrier.

New Nexus 4 - $359
New SIII - $599 (locked to Rogers)
New iPhone $699 16GB (Locked to Rogers

My Nexus S is running long in the tooth now as well. I'm on the 40/month plan from Wind and had 600 set aside for a new phone. Can't describe how ecstatic I am about being able to get the new Nexus 4 directly from Google.
Buying a phone outright is not an option right now, unless I go with a minor upgrade, like an iPhone 4, which isn't really worth it.

My plan with Rogers handles more minutes than I could possibly use, and 1GB data when I have never gone above 250MB. There is also the minor benefit that my wife can call me for free (Rogers to Rogers), since she has a serious cell phone minute problem. The only thing that would be 'better' about Wind is unlimited data, but since I never feel restricted by the 1GB I have, I doubt I would get enough use out of it to have it weigh heavily in my choice.

If I could get that same plan, or another one that suits my needs for $30 or less from Wind, then it would outweigh the benefits that FlexTab gives over WindTab. This is partially due to the fact that I do think I will be buying out my tab before the contract is finished, if for no other reason than to get a new phone, so the $16-20 you get in credit from Flextab a month is much better than the $3-4 on WindTab. The end result is after after 2 years on Wind you still owe over $500 on a $600 phone if you cancel, but only owe $200 for the same phone on FlexTab. Add in the extra cost for initial device and that difference is over $350.

That means that after 2 years, I need to save more than that with Wind a month, which means at minimum the plan needs to be $15 a month cheaper, including any 'roaming' charges I might get.

If I thought I would be happy keeping a single phone for 3 years, then it wouldn't matter, but I doubt that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I'd say that it's almost granted that there'll be some sort of holiday promotion in the coming months. The Christmas season has always been one of the peak times for activations.
Are they typically just reduced rates on the same plans? or are there variations?

Like I don't need unlimited data, unlimited text, Canada wide Wind zones, etc. If they have something that might not include some of that stuff for an even further reduced rate, then I might just hold off.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote