View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #1644
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I make no secret that I work for Microsoft, although I'm in the M365 Core engineering org. which is a different org from Xbox.

It turns out Surface is one of the worst offenders for exactly what I'm talking about. They made some big strides with Surface Laptop 3 (battery is still glued in, annoyingly), but up to that point the entire Surface line were regarded as worse than MBPs for repairability, which is no small feat. I've fixed countless laptops and even a couple MacBooks (one polycarbonate and one aluminum MBP) by swapping in replacement batteries and selling them on, allowing them to be of value to someone instead of ending up in a landfill. This is a topic that I genuinely regard as important.

Man, they should really invent rechargeable batteries one day.
All the Surface Laptop 1s and 2s I bought for the company are giant paperweights and because of that we are never going Microsoft for computers again.

Some are bricked, some have bloated batteries, alcantara is all stained with people's palms so they can't be re-issued to new users. The whole thing is glued together and completely unservicable.

The newer Surface Laptops have magnets on the keyboard for you to open them up but we learned our lesson with Microsoft.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote