View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #59
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That number is meaningless unless you compare the support in other countries. Based on this Canada's total producer support (which includes market price, tariffs, as well as government subsidies) is below OECD average as a share of Gross Farm Receipts and total GDP. We just do it through high retail prices whereas other countries support through taxpayer subsidies.

Not sure why right wingers are so against supply management; they love user fees rather than subsidies. Why should non-dairy consumers' tax dollars subsidize people who consume a lot of dairy?
Why does what other countries do have anything to do with us?

We could easily choose to have neither subsidies nor quotas/proce fixing. You'd probably keep tariffs in that situation.

When I was 7 my mom told me if one of my friends does something stupid I shouldn't do it just to follow along. That applies here. Bad policy in other countries doesn't require bad policy here.

And this is bad policy that disproportionately hurts poor children, which I'd suggest is one of the worst kinds of bad policy there is.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote