View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #57
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I wouldn't characterize this conflict as right wing vs left wing. The current system in place prevents small businesses from operating and favors largely corporations.

To play devil's advocate, a truly right wing perspective would be one that has neither subsidies nor supply management. It would rely entirely on the market in a sink or swim sense. What you're discussing is the conflict between two left wing approaches.....although I debate whether systems like unions, supply management systems, etc... are in any way left wing. Left wing, by definition, is anti-establishment. Unions and supply systems have now become establishments in their own right. I'm not sure how you can look at a system with a million dollar entrance fee (the cost of dairy licenses for a small farm) any other way.
You can't make money as a small business in agriculture. It's all economies of scale. Tiny farms are not a thing because if your margin is really low and diminishing, you need to be bigger to make the same amount of $.

The "entrance fee deterrent" is to prevent an over-supply in the market, resulting in negative returns, resulting in no one wanting to produce.

Do you think you can just start crop farming if you are 18 and have no assets? It's pretty much the same thing here. The quota system isn't perfect, but it ensures local agriculture economy and consistent adequate supply. Supply management ensures we have milk, eggs, chicken, and turkey available on store shelves until unplanned pandemics happen.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote