View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That number is meaningless unless you compare the support in other countries. Based on this Canada's total producer support (which includes market price, tariffs, as well as government subsidies) is below OECD average as a share of Gross Farm Receipts and total GDP. We just do it through high retail prices whereas other countries support through taxpayer subsidies.

Not sure why right wingers are so against supply management; they love user fees rather than subsidies. Why should non-dairy consumers' tax dollars subsidize people who consume a lot of dairy?
I wouldn't characterize this conflict as right wing vs left wing. The current system in place prevents small businesses from operating and favors largely corporations.

To play devil's advocate, a truly right wing perspective would be one that has neither subsidies nor supply management. It would rely entirely on the market in a sink or swim sense. What you're discussing is the conflict between two left wing approaches.....although I debate whether systems like unions, supply management systems, etc... are in any way left wing. Left wing, by definition, is anti-establishment. Unions and supply systems have now become establishments in their own right. I'm not sure how you can look at a system with a million dollar entrance fee (the cost of dairy licenses for a small farm) any other way.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote