View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #451
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Thanks for sharing these. I'm less annoyed than previously, because as mentioned the roads going to 40 I never would have gone above 40 on anyway.

I do question if this is a solution in search of a problem though. I don't ever see people going too fast on these roads, because generally speaking they aren't designed for it. My understanding is all the red lines on those maps will be getting speed limit signs for 50, which will cost a bunch of money. Are we getting any actual benefit out of this? I'd love to know how many pedestrians have been hit by cars on roads that are switching to 40 km/h where the driver was going faster than 40 km/h. My guess is the answer is actually zero. If it turns out there have been fatalities of a bunch of little kids under those circumstances then my opinion instantly changes.

But if that was the case I think those pushing this would have led with those stats. Right now it seems like all we get is a bunch of Helen Lovejoy handwringing.
You're unfortunately correct ... maybe not 'zero', but bugger all relative to the rest of the city. The streets where pedestrian-vehicle incidents occur are overwhelmingly not the streets where these changes took place. Every report the City has put out showed this to be the case, including the report they put out to justify this change.

You want to spend money? Fine, improve pedestrian crossings and markings, make it easier for drivers and pedestrians to avoid each other. This was, as you said, a solution in search of a problem.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote