View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #441
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am very much on the fence with a decision like this.

I live in the beltline so it won't effect me on a day to day basis as i walk to work.

On the one hand, lower speed limits on some roads grind my gears (Elbow specifically). I understand that some people living in more suburban areas may have more exposure to these types of roadways. I am also of the opinion that this is perhaps an overreaction to an issue.

On the other hand, i really don't think its as big of a deal as people on here are making it. Sheesh, war on cars? some older residential streets (beltline and surrounding pre-90's subdivisions) are so narrow that there is no way you can go 50km and expect to react to problems as they arise.

I also don't buy the argument that this change is not grounded in data or study. There have been countless studies on this issue and was debated and implemented in many european countries over a decade ago. These studies have showed that the decrease in pedestrian collisions is one of several benefits, while also suggesting traffic conditions are not impacted by speed limits but traffic control devices.

I think this is a perfect opportunity to rethink subdivision design. Modern subdivisions are awful, with their winding miles long residential streets and one or two entrys/exits to the community. It's also an opportunity to re-thing the wide laneways on roads where the speed limits do not necessitate such wasted space.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post: