View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 01:32 AM   #32
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For a few brilliant hours, you have a kiddie pool ice dip challenge. Don't waste this!
You know, my eldest got the same idea and very nearly had my youngest in the drink before I intervened.

I suppose it's no shock that water would turn to ice on a night like this (-7C at time of writing), but it's fun seeing it happen.

One other note for those who may be following this thread with the intention of doing something similar - I am glad I got the 10 inch wide boards. When I stopped the flood it was 3 inches deep at the shallowest point and 6 1/4 inches at the deepest. I'm not going to regrade my yard for a rink like this and the underlying snow was too compacted to do much with when I laid the frame down; perhaps what I thought of as slightly over-engineering the frame might actually be the price of half-assing the surface prep.

As I was flooding today it made for an interesting opportunity to discuss surface tension of water with my kids. That got me thinking about maintenance, especially when temperatures get seriously cold. With a rink this small I could move a few pails of water onto it rather than go through the hassle of draining the hose (my garage is unheated). If I did that, I'd have the opportunity to mix in a few drops of dish soap to break the surface tension and hopefully get a smoother surface. Does anyone have any thoughts about that?

Last edited by RoadGame; 11-29-2020 at 01:40 AM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote