View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, central A/C is the way to go. I had window units previously and the upgrade is totally worth it. Some of my tips:

- Disregard the "you only need it a few days per year in Calgary" crowd. Yes, your typical summer will only have 10 days where you need it; then there's usually another 30 days where it's just really nice. There's nothing like being able to enjoy the few hot summer nights; knowing you will also be able to sleep and not relying on dropping temperatures.

- Spend the money (part 1) Make sure you get one that can handle your house. If it's a question of a 2 ton "should be enough" or spending $500 more on a 3 ton; spend the money. It's very hard to upgrade later on.

- Spend the money (part 2) Get somebody who knows what they are doing. I had a friend of a friend do mine for just under $3000. However somebody else had to charge the system ($300) and then the next year had to call a refrigeration company to fix the mistakes he made. ($700) So I ended up no further ahead; and had a year of frustration and electricity bills from the system running longer than it had to.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: