View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #73
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the trade for both teams long-term, but short-term I don't think it's great for Philly. It definitely doesn't put them over the top this year unless they can also make some moves for more shooting. If they intend to go with a starting 5 of Embiid, Butler, Simmons, Fultz, and Reddick, I think that's one of the worst-matched skillsets of any starting unit in the league. Fultz and Simmons have no outside shot, Embiid is a decent (not great) 3 point shot for his position, Butler is below average from 3 for his position. It'll be easy for teams to stay home on Reddick (who's shooting a career worst so far this year) from deep because letting literally any other starter shoot from 3 is an acceptable shot based on the percentages. Both Simmons and Fultz need the ball in their hands to be effective. Butler likes to have the ball in his hands, with 3-point capable guys spacing the floor for him; Minnesota could at least fit his style that way... Towns, Rose, Wiggins, Gibson, Teague, they can all shoot better than their Philly equivalents.

That said, Brown's a solid coach and certainly under Popovich he'd have learned how to get a lot out of a roster without great 3-point shooting. And their defense stands to be very good and if they can create a lot of transition opportunities, that will at least somewhat make up for less half-court efficiency.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post: