View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #42
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
If I'm not mistaken a Flames win and a Wild loss could clinch the playoffs for us?

Most points the Wild (top team in the West not in the playoffs) could get is 94, most the Oilers (top team in the division not in the playoffs) could get is 93.

That said I must be doing some math wrong, as the way I see it San Jose has clinched but Fox Sports, ESPN, nor the NHL website have them listed as clinched.
Not quite because of Colorado.

If Calgary wins tonight they will have 95 points. If they were to lose the remainder of their games:

The Knights and Coyotes could still pass them placing them in a fight for the wildcard spot.(Knights with a max of 105, Arizona with 99)

For Minnesota to pass them, Minnesota would need to win all of their remaining 11 games (giving them 96 points, 95 points would not be enough due to ROW). Because Minnesota would need to beat the Knights and Coyotes, the max those teams could receive in this case is now 104 and 98. You're right that a win by the Flames tonight and a loss by Minnesota tomorrow means that the Flames will beat Minnesota.

But Colorado can also get 96 points if they win all of their games. Similar to the Wild, they play Minnesota and Arizona.

So it's still, possible if not improbable for the teams to finish:

Pacific
Flames 104+
Vegas 104
Arizona 98

Wildcard
St. Louis 95+
Colorado 96

Sharks 94
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote