View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Both things seem petty. If MacInnis and Nieuwendyk went on to do other things with other teams, fine. That's life. They still gave you some of their best years and got your organization to the top of the mountain, and they had to do it against the Gretzky Oilers.

Retire their numbers.

Theo, look. Everyone knows what Theo's deal is. Everyone knows the obstacles he's overcome. You take the good with the bad. Say 'we're retiring your number on November 14th, be here by 4:30'. Fleury makes his money as a public speaker now, and from what I've heard in interviews, doesn't seem financially strapped.

Again, for 2 and 14, they're already basically retired. Nobody wears them, nobody would. Unlike 25, which apparently goes to any scrub who needs a shirt. Whatever you want to say about Nieuwendyk, he did get you Iginla. So if you're going to honor him anyway, just take 25 out of circulation.
I'm not saying they are right - I'm saying what I think the holdup is. But with Theo, I think it would depend on what his ask is. I really don't think he has as much dough as you'd suspect. Living off speaking engagements isn't the steadiest of incomes and his other ventures have failed.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote