View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #34
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

No it didn't. I know, subjective tastes and all, but there's just nowhere to stand here. FFVI is generally accepted as the best, but you could make a case for VII or possibly IX or IV if you want to talk about the purpose of a sountrack being atmosphere creation. But in spite of having a few decent tracks, VIII was just... there. And "eyes on me" is cringe-worthy.

VIII is a dumb game, basically. You don't even need to get into the mechanics (e.g. the universally loathed "draw" system and the weird way they dealt with "GF"s), the whole story was a mess. The concept of having a school of heroes was a great place to start, but they just had no idea what to do with it. Literally everything that happens after Disc 1 is idiotic. The super high tech secret eastern continent? Idiotic. Flying into space to fight colour-coded aliens? Idiotic. The whole thing about the "garden master"? Idiotic. Time traveling sorceresses who possess people? Idiotic. And even the stuff that wasn't idiotic in theory was executed poorly - the whole thing about how you have a rival who goes over to the dark side is fine as a device, but it was just so cheesily done, it's basically the storytelling quality of the Star Wars prequels.

But the whole "we all knew each other in childhood and forgot about it and the main villain who was being mind controlled used to be our teacher and was married to the dude who is effectively our Dumbledore and don't worry about how totally implausible a coincidence on this scale is" part has to be just about the worst thing Square ever did in a Final Fantasy storyline. Dumb doesn't begin to describe that. I'll take the FFX laughing scene over that crap.

If they can make enough money off of this VII project to justify it, they definitely need to remake VI next. IX would be a fine one to revisit too - its flaws are fixable. A new IV? Sure, that went a bit off the rails with the whole "we're going to the moon" thing, but whatever, fine. VIII, though, can stay relegated to obscurity as far as I'm concerned.
I'm gonna have to agree. I remember being so hyped for FF8 after playing FF7, and then being really disappointed by all the changes. Squall was such an unlikeable main protagonist. I hated how moody he was. I get Cloud was also emo for awhile in FF7, but at least he didn't act like an ahole like Squall. By the end of it, I was hoping he'd lose the girl and Rinoa chose someone better lol.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote