View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #415
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Lastly I will comment on this movie tanking at the box office. Since the Star Wars movies have started coming out, and even starting with the Marvel movies, I've made a big deal about going to them. Get a group of buddies together and we hit the theatre together, enjoy the experience and usually go have beers after and play some board games, watch hockey, whatever. I didn't do this for Solo not because I thought it was going to be bad, but just because it was so close to The Last Jedi and even closer to Infinity War. Just didn't have time to fit it in with those movies. Had they staggered it to this Christmas I would right now be purchasing a group of tickets to make an event out of it with my friends, as it is still Star Wars and we love Star Wars. SO I honestly think that TLJ being bad had an affect, I think all of the rumours about production problems and actor problems did as well... but I think timing was also a big problem. Joe Blow with 3 kids isn't going to be taking them to Solo and Infinity War in the same month. So Disney shot themselves in the foot there.
This.

Disney, very oddly, dropped the ball on this.

I think someone, somewhere in some Executive's office thought: "Its a Star Wars Han Solo movie! Of course fans will line up to see it!!!! We dont need to space out our timing or market the hell out of it! Its Star Wars! Its Han Solo! It sells itself!!"

And while they're not entirely wrong, sandwiching it between two major tentpole films was stupid.

Infinity War was the first instalment of the culmination of a decade's worth of storyline investment and TLJ is even more of an emotional investment to Star Wars fans.

I have no idea what Disney was thinking releasing a side-film at the same time after recasting an iconic role and then not really selling people on it.

I think Solo's perceived failure at the box office is really just a matter of poor timing and over-saturation.

This was an Executive/Marketing screw up, not a bad movie, so I hope they stick with it and make more but for the love of money learn some timing!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: