View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #414
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Finally got to see this last night and I really liked it.. with a few problems. Just a FYI the movie is now out on DVD so I think we can assume this thread is a spoiler filled area. So,

*****SPOILERS IN POSTS BELOW THIS POINT******

First off was character development. I was really looking forward to seeing Han become the man we see in ANH, but instead we got a taste of where he started, then skipped over 3 years and saw where he arrived at. The same goes for Qi'ra.

I didn't need three years of Han at the academy trying to achieve Top Holdout Blaster status with his rival Icerodian and a topless volleyball scene on the beach... but perhaps SOMETHING about how he became this incredible pilot. There is no build up to him developing these skills, he is just a great shot, a great pilot and has that Han cockiness out of nowhere. I needed more. Qi'ra is also just this crime boss slave wife who has 'done terrible things!!' that we are never privy to... how about toss us a bone?

I also thought the Kessel Run was a little under hyped and looked to easy. I thought they could have made this a bit more of a big deal, it is the freaking Kessel Run!! In 12 parsecs!!! This is one of the most iconic Star Wars moments to date, the line that everyone remembers. Not sure how to handle it better, but there had to be a way.

But, on top of this, I thought we got a super fun movie. I thought Glover's Lando was just amazing and spot on. The way he portrayed him made it feel to me like it was a young Williams and not an entirely new actor. Even the look was great. So well done there, spot on.

I also thought Harrelsson was awesome, we got some character development of Han through him, finally teaching him at the end how to be a proper scoundrel, and Han definitely shot first this time (I also thought that was a cool nod.)

I wasn't a huge fan of how Han and Chewie met... but I did like the development of their relationship as the movie goes on, especially how they keep saving each other through out the movie. They went through a lot together and you can see that unbreakable bond of loyalty forming between the two. So well done there. It was also neat to see other Wookies in action and very thematic to find them slaving away in the Kessel mines.

I thought Clarke did a great job in her role, she played it well and is a drop dead gorgeous lady. There was one scene at the end where she is looking out the window after talking with Maul and she looks exactly like Audrie Hepburn.

Speaking of Maul... that was kind of random. I thought it was neat, original actor from the prequels, voice actor from TCW/Rebels, but random. It makes sense as he does get wrapped up in the crime syndicates with his bro in Clone Wars, so he could still be involved in that world. It's also a big nod to the cartoon series which I am all about. I know people talk about it being "fan service man, myeh, i'm above that" but those people have neck beards and bigger man boobs than Clarke. I say, bring it on. When we got the Ghost in Rogue One, and the mention of General Syndula and Chopper rolling across the screen I was fist pumpingly happy.

So I liked this Maul cameo, but I do wonder where it will lead. With Solo not getting a great reception.. will they be re working where they planned to fit Maul in for future movies? I know Alden has been signed on for 2 more movies still to portray Han, is that still on the table? Who knows.

Lastly I will comment on this movie tanking at the box office. Since the Star Wars movies have started coming out, and even starting with the Marvel movies, I've made a big deal about going to them. Get a group of buddies together and we hit the theatre together, enjoy the experience and usually go have beers after and play some board games, watch hockey, whatever. I didn't do this for Solo not because I thought it was going to be bad, but just because it was so close to The Last Jedi and even closer to Infinity War. Just didn't have time to fit it in with those movies. Had they staggered it to this Christmas I would right now be purchasing a group of tickets to make an event out of it with my friends, as it is still Star Wars and we love Star Wars. SO I honestly think that TLJ being bad had an affect, I think all of the rumours about production problems and actor problems did as well... but I think timing was also a big problem. Joe Blow with 3 kids isn't going to be taking them to Solo and Infinity War in the same month. So Disney shot themselves in the foot there.