View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #65
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just left Shaw due to customer service and trying to get a modem that was faulty replaced. They wanted more tech involvement despite numerous attempts at the same. I paid an early cancellation fee of $80, and signed up with Telus. I was on the original wide open 150 promotion with Shaw, and was currently paying $150 a month with cable.

I opted out of cable with Telus, and was $90 for pure fibre (but on a promo, so $55 for 6 months, $200 bill credit). 3 days after Telus install, and a day after I returned my Shaw equipment I got a call from Shaw retentions. I explained it wasn't cost and I didn't care who I was with but my concerns re: the hardware were not addressed. In the end I got lured back at $62/month for 2 years of 150, $150 bill credit, and refund of my $80 ETF, and they would cancel my telus account with a guarantee of no ETF or it would be covered. Stipulation was that I would get the new modem this time (Arris XB6), and my satisfaction window be extended to 30 days. I figured that could not be beat at all, and now that I've cut cable I need unlimited data which is what the top bandwidth plans have.

Observations in the week I had Telus: Telus wasn't noticeably any different than Shaw in browsing, and in streaming. Ping times have been as low as 6ms with this new shaw modem, and both have similar ramp on downloads (actually, I noticed Telus ramped a bit slower when downloading 1+GB files). I really missed Shaw Open networks, yes Telus has #telus but the coverage is significantly less. Notably, at the Airport when I'm working out of there has Shaw Open and I use it to stream TV and everything. As so far the week back with Shaw has been flawless, no drops, no hiccups. Also of note, the XB6 is a much less capable router than the Hitron was, only 2 LAN ports, no USB. I'm bridged anyhow so its no concern to me, but it might be if its your primary.

I also want to plug my Netgear Orbi Mesh router. That thing is badass (and was purchased after the Shaw dropouts issues which was on the Hitron, when I went to Telus because the Actiontec was brutal for coverage)