View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #1556
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't sure whether to put this post in the EV thread or a travel thread.

Sorta weird question... how does EV charging factor into a road trip scenario? I've driven EVs before, but not in rapid charging scenarios.

Is it like, find a place to charge, go out to grab a snack and then return after 20-30 minutes sort of thing for 15-20% charge? or do I need to allot more time and more frequently? I know it's not as simple as 2-3 minutes for Gasoline and then go sort of thing, but I'm trying to figure out if it's 30 minutes or 1.5 hours (ie: 45mins x 2) I should consider allotting. When I drive, I love just going for it, so the charging situation may force my hand to approach the drive in a very different manner than I usually do for road trip driving.

I'm going to SF and I might rent a Tesla Model 3. The plan is to go to big Sur, but looking at the distances, I can't do that on a single charge (300 miles round trip without stuff on the side). I just want to know how much time I may need to allot to ensure I make it back to the rental company by 5 PM. The challenge also is that big Sur is intentionally less developed, so I may have to take a look at some of the small towns at the midway point between big Sur and SF.

I am assuming access is mostly regular public charging only and I'm hoping to top up 100-150 miles for that drive.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote