View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 07:36 AM   #311
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why do you think the league is forcing the issue? If things were hunky-dory as you say then wouldn't this be a non issue for the league? It's pretty telling when the Canadian Football League is actually trying to reduce the ratio of Canadian players is it not? The league wants to change the ratio because they know the quality of product is slipping and attendance is also slipping accordingly. The easiest way to correct that is to add more talent to improve the product and the only way to accomplish that is to reduce the ratio. Having more Canadian players in the game may make overly patriotic fans proud but this league is on its last legs and while I've been critical of the commissioner this is one issue where I fully support them as it's been long overdue.
From my perspective, the CFL is pushing to reduce the ratio because they are mostly run by Americans who don't see the value in starting Canadians. Most coaches and GMs feel it would be easier if they didn't have to take the time to identify, draft and develop Canadian talent. Dave Sapunjis is too much work. Let's just go with Pee Wee Smith is the way many of them think. The best coaches/GMs figure it out.

Canadian players live here year rounds and are the ambassadors for the teams and the league. Americans mostly just go home after the season.

Reducing the ratio is short sighted and will result in less interest in the CFL in the long run. It is a bad move.

Eric, you have been screaming the sky is falling and the CFL is on it's last legs for at least 30 years.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote