View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 09:57 PM   #1051
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I see some Ioniq 5's on Autotrader, so there does seem to be some stock. Almost all RWD models though, one AWD premium going into Edmonton.
We pre-ordered in mid-Oct and received our Ioniq 5 long range preferred RWD early Jan. People that pre-ordered the AWD Ultimate package much earlier than us had to wait longer. There is a much shorter wait list for long ranged preferred RWD vs the AWD ultimate package. I think this is because there is much more technology requiring chips and electronic components in the ultimate package. It has higher demand for good reason but wait is also affected by supply chain issues like all EVs. Our friend ordered a model 3 around the same time as us and had a few weeks shorter wait but received her car with no USB ports because she was told there were supply issues. Not a big deal and she can get them installed if she likes with an appointment sometime in the future but still goes to show supply for all manufacturers is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Contrast that with the Ioniq 5 like you suggested that not only charges 3-4 times faster, it also holds the higher charge for longer. If you do any sort of trips that is going to be massive. Then you're stopping for 15-20 minutes every 350-400km. That's a massive difference
Fast charging was one of the biggest reasons why we ordered Ioniq5 over ID4 or MachE. I'm very happy with it but have been surprised how bad non Tesla fast charging infrastructure is still (not that it has effected me whatsoever). In Victoria the highest reliable chargers are BChydro 50kW chargers. Petro Canada is supposed to have 350kW chargers but came in at a whopping 40kW but at least was free. Looking at PlugShare app which allows feedback for every station PetroCanada and Shell are either throttling or majority of stations don't work properly as users report <100kW rates but some stations are still charging 0.27/min. Seems criminal they are charging for time but don't offer the advertised charging rates. Electrify Canada has much better reports with app check-ins charging rates reported to be as advertised at 150kW. Noteworthy that although Tesla has better infrastructure the fastest charger on the Island is only 120kW in Nanaimo and 72kW locally so pretty similar to what I can get since Electrify Canada has a working 150kW station in Nanaimo for road trips to Tofino. Vancouver to Calgary is covered much better but interestingly Edmonton still has very poor DC charging infrastructure from what I can see available. It will all change fast as ElectrifyCanada expands and I hope Petro Canada and Shell offers advertised rates and keep expanding their networks.

Anyways point being is that despite all the research we did we couldn't really fathom how different fueling an EV is. Its ridiculously cheap to charge at home overnight so battery is kept 60-80%. Its more important that the EV has good range in my opinion at this point vs fast charging since DC fast charging infrastructure is lacking.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post: