View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #1048
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Very strongly recommend against a leaf. Even the new ones do not have thermal management for the battery which means both winter range and capacity loss will be awful. The bolt is decent, but if you can wait the Ioniq 5 and VW ID4 are far superior.
The Bolt is really going to depend on how much it’s going to sell for. It’s a great car, and if it’s significantly cheaper than other options, it would be a great option.

I don’t know if they have sped up it’s DC fast charging speed from 50 kW, which is slow for a EV these days. It’s not going to be an issue if you just use it to commute, but if you are ever intending to do road trips, something like an IOniq 5 with its 200+ kW max charging speed is going to be much better.

I don’t know if I’d be too worried about battery technology advancing to a point where a new EV down the road is going to be so much better than current cars.

Current EVs are capable of doing anything without much change to current habits. Maybe you have to rest for 20 minutes every 3 hours. It probably gets hard to deliver power fast enough to improve the charge times significantly anyway. Batteries may become lighter, but that doesn’t make current vehicles less capable.

That said, I’d definitely want a car that can charge at 150-200kW, and even with that, not all cars have the same charge curve. Vehicles that have the same max charge rate may have significantly different chrage curves, effecting how long they take to charge. Some vehicles slow down more than others above 80%, or with the battery mostly discharged.