View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #4775
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I just re-read the book last month. It is outstanding while being super uncomfortable at times. It is really good insight into the mind of a pedophile.

There's nothing organic about their love, though. The seeds for his infatuation with pubescent girls stems from a traumatic event in his childhood and while you can understand the way he thinks by virtue of seeing the world through his eyes, it's no less abhorrent.

Art can make you uncomfortable. Sounds a bit cheesy - and of course you're under no obligation to expose yourself to something that makes you squirm - but it sure seems you have put some limitations on your own opportunities to experience others' experiences and gain a broader understanding by just shutting these things out.

You're so vocal in your opposition to this movie, Cuties, but you haven't even seen it. It just seem so puritanical that I'm surprised to be seeing somebody so proudly hold such a close-minded opinion. It may deserve the scorn, but you're not the guy to be passing that judgement as you haven't even seen it. And - as is often the case when people shout stuff down from the rooftops - I'm now curious about it and if you had just moved along instead of getting all riled up I never would have even heard about it.

It's not like I've seen none of it, I've seen images and clips and it is clear the majority of people consider it way over the line. I said what I saw was vulgar and off putting enough for me to cancel my account and felt compelled to pass on the message. I'd have left it there but you asked for my take on Lolita and while I can't comment on the book directly, it has made a distinct impression on our culture and I thought you'd be interested in my take on that as an outsiders perspective. When you drew me back into the conversation, I thought it would be interesting to look at the financial impact and I agree that the finances are too murky to pull anything definitive out the stock price, but I do think the 8 fold increases in cancellations was noteworthy.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote