View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 AM   #70
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that EV's will be a bigger part of the future, not as quick as some people think. The adoption has been generally slower for a lot of "green" cars and trucks than people want to admit.

Hybrid's have been available since 1997 (Toyota) and 1999 (Honda) yet few people know someone who owns one. EV's are also coming slowly and as the technology improves and some of the other issues are worked out like range, cold weather performance etc, other issues with pop up.

How do you retrofit a large commercial parking lot or underground parking garage with hundreds of plug in's? Who is going to pay for that, the electricity and the added costs for upgrading the building?

Lot's of talk about all the "free charging stations" but if these become more mainstream, are we suppose to believe that there won't be significant demand for people to take advantage of "free"? What happens if your running late, haven't charged your car and plan on charging it at (insert location) and than go to another appointment/event but no space is available? Talk about anxiety.

A lot of my friends who have really really really pushed this "revolution" really haven't taken part themselves. We have been having the same conversations for years yet nothing has changed. A lot of the excuses from them are exactly what are being discussed here, the barriers to entry so to speak.

I know a lot of people want this to happen for environmental reasons and that is great, what people are losing track of is literally the billions of people who are going to be scaling up and will be looking gasoline powered transportion options in the next 20 years.

While North American's argue over climate change and EV's, rebates , carbon taxes etc.

1) China is building HUNDREDS of new airports for global air travel
2) China has abandoned their 1 child policy meaning more families who are craving North American living standards and lifestyles.

3) India will probably surpass China as the largest country within 5 years and is scaling up very quick themselves.

Numerous other examples. I know that a lot of people envision a global world filled with EV's and everything green tech, the sad reality is that billions of people don't have a proper toilet, housing, clean water or shelter. What will happen once we get them scaled up and they have aspirations for a car ownership ?

Lot's of issues to be sorted out I think
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote