View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #1009
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
All alt-right stuff aside, I just want to add something.

Stating that you find his self help messages “obvious”, or whatever fun way you choose to word it, isn’t impressing anyone. People have found something in his message and he has sparked a positive change in at least a few individuals lives. They don’t need to be put down because of it. These posts are akin to people telling those who are clinically depressed to “just smile and be happier!”
Um, no. Telling people to “Sort yourself out, bucko” is what’s akin telling those who are clinically depressed to “just smile and be happier!”

Categorising those messages, and remember, we’re specifically talking about the messages that Cowboy said boil down to “sort yourself out before blaming others” as obvious, is not meant to impress anyone or be divisive. It is as it is. Peterson says much MORE than that along the way in different videos and talks, he actually has a lot to say, but the catchphrase messages he’s known for, the “sort yourself out, bucko”s, are obvious and frankly not notable.

Now, as I said earlier, there is a huge swath of the people who he’s talking to that NEED obvious advice, and to hear it from an intellectual and a father-figure is absolutely essential, because they end up listening.

Take CBT as another potential example. Having gone through it myself, it was extremely helpful, but much of it was so obvious. To most people, if they sit down in a CBT session without any need for it, they’re not going to really learn anything, the sessons may very well seem obvious. For people who have certain issues though, it can be inspiring and groundbreaking. Someone in a role of influence sometimes saying nothing more groundbreaking than “this is where you’re experiencing issues, so break the cycle at this point by thinking differently.”

So, apologies if you find “obvious” offensive. I didn’t mean it to be. But much of what Peterson dolls out as life advice is absolutely obvious, uninspired, or remarkably dull, but (as I said) there are still people who need that. There’s no shame in having troubles in life because you missed the obvious, it happens, and sometimes you need an authority figure to unlock that for you.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote